Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Salt and Light


The Lord has really been speaking to me about teaching my children about living.

So I decided to start with Jesus' teaching in Matthew

1st lesson....I got the kids settled down and read them Matthew 5:13-16 about being the salt and light of the world. Not sure how much they received, I don't feel I am much of a teacher......but I was REFRESHED!

You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
"You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."
Matthew 5:13-16

Then the foot note of my Bible says if Christians make no effort to affect the world around them, they are of little value to God. If we are too much like the world we are worthless. It then goes on to say that Christians should not blend in with everyone else.

Could it be more CLEARER??

This is what I call being "Peculiar in Christ"

I think sometimes we forget this...in our busy-ness of life it is soo easy to get caught up in our self that we have missed opportunities!

And for me sometimes it IS an honest overlooking.....or rather I am not SEEKING, but there are times when it is on purpose and I find excuses to not do whatever......YUCK!

Brandon Heath has a great song Give Me Your Eyes....I think it is a true reflection of what we should be longing for minute by minute, day by day.

Here is the chorus, but the entire song is AMAZING!

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
Was it far beyond my reach?
Give me your heart for the once forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see


No comments: