Friday, August 8, 2008

Have a slice of humble pie.....


OK! I admit it! I was offended the other day and I let the offense effect my actions.

I am sure your dying to know the details.......................so, I will share!

The other day the kids and I went to eat at a little place in Magnolia. There was only about 4 tables being occupied and 2 waitresses, but the service was HORRIBLE. I won't bore you with those details, we have ALL experienced this at some point.

Anyway, when I went to pay I was determined I was NOT going to leave a tip! I had convinced myself that had I been a guy I would have been treated MUCH better! I was OFFENDED by this poor service!

So, she swiped the card and I signed my name and DID NOT leave a tip!

"HUH, I'll show her" were my thoughts......mind you I had my kids with me and one in particular was very curious if I tipped.

I explained that I did not leave a tip because "she didn't do anything and the service was horrible." Can't you just hear me...oh gosh, I am so lame! Then we drove away and finished our day!

Way to go....Raise those kids up right!!!

WRONG ANSWER!

The Lord spoke to me very clearly that night....it was almost frightening!

He revealed to me that I was allowing myself to be offended and then teaching that behavior to my children.............................YIKES, that never occurred to me while I was acting childish and giving way to my feelings and emotions.

I was reminded of all the things the Lord has done for me....even when I "didn't do anything and gave poor service"!

I did not know what was going on that day, at that moment, with her. I should have just shown love and understanding (maybe even asking her how her day was going?) but instead I was being selfish AND teaching my kids to be that way!

Not only that, but what was I accomplishing by not leaving her a tip? Would it have made the service better? NO! In fact the next time I went there to eat (which I know I will) the service may have been WORSE, because I could have OFFENDED HER by not leaving a tip.......and look at that cycle flourish!

I needed to have grace!

It goes back to something I said in a previous post....when you have expectations in people other than Jesus you can expect to be disappointed!
We believe that we are all saved the same way, by the undeserved grace of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 15:11

So, guess where I went?

Yep, back to the little restaurant to find my waitress and give her the tip that I did not leave the other day.......
And my kids came too!

2 comments:

~Tracy~ said...

"FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES, AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES." (Hebrews 12:6)

Cindy Seay said...

Kellie,
Thanks for the great reminder that we are to love as Jesus loves us. We don't deserve His love much in the same way that your waiter may not have deserved a tip. But we receive Christ's unconditional love.
I am inspired that you went back there with your kids. Awesome!