Monday, June 30, 2008

Obedience

I have never considered myself to be one of those "do as I say not as I do" parents, but WHOA yesterday I was totally convicted!
I am ALWAYS telling my kids "you have to listen AND obey", "you may not like my decision but you need to respect it (no LOUD sighs or mumbo/grumbo under the breath, you know....the things you did to YOUR parents...I was a MAJOR eye roller and to this day I am still pretty darn good, just ask Brent! Sorry Babe!) Anyway, yesterday after I had explained to Mr. Lex how important it is for him to listen AND obey the veil was lifted, OK more like yanked, from my eyes. Do I listen AND obey my Heavenly Father? DUH?????????? I try, really hard, but I can not and do not alway listen AND obey. And as Christians we must do both. You see you can hear it and carry it around in your head and think about it and never put it into action, whether it is sin that needs to be dealt with or an assignment the Lord has for you. You can also be flappin' your mouth (oh yeah, thats me) telling the Lord everything, like He doesn't already know it, that you do not give him a chance to speak or reveal things to you. LISTENING and OBEYING! You see this is how you grow in your relationship with the Lord and strengthen your spiritual walk. While the things being asked of you may be painful, the Lord will be with you. Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered. Hebrews 5:8

He told his disciples "teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:20. There it is! He WILL be with you!

So lets try to be better listen-ers AND obey-ers because that is what He is calls us to do!

No comments: